Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Read Aloud Handbook


Last night at Curriculum Night I mentioned my very favorite book about the importance of reading. The title is The Read-Aloud Handbook. It is written by Jim Trelease. It is currently in its 6th edition. I love this book because it is written by a dad and it is an easy read; it is not like a text book at all. However, it is very inspirational about reading and gives great hands on ideas for parents and teachers. As I mentioned last night, some of the points they talk about are the correlation between reading to your child at a young age and high SAT scores in high school. Another point is the importance of dads reading to their children. (I saw several moms elbowing dads when I said that and I swear no one paid me to say it!)

Here is the link to the Amazon.com listing for it, however, I do believe it is available at most book stores. If you do decide to purchase it and read it, I would LOVE feedback on what you think.
Here is the link to Jim Trelease's webpage

1 comment:

Jaxma99 said...

This is MY favorite book for baby showers!!! I love this book because that's where I learned the trick of reading to my 9 year old while HE does the dishes! :) He and his dad are currently reading the 3rd book in the Eragon trilogy. It's so fun to hear them do book talks! Ha! Great recommendation!!!